Celebrities are offered all the best skin care advice and treatments so it makes sense to keep an eye on what they’re up to.
One treatment that’s very popular among celebrities is microneedling and it looks like the Stars are loving this procedure!
The "A-Lister" line up includes Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Jennifer Aniston, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kim Kardashian and Demi Moore, just to name a few.
At the Cannes Film Festival Angelina Jolie caused such a sensation with her youthful appearance that her preference for micro-needling was covered by the Los Angeles Times.
Jennifer Aniston said, “I do micro-needling! I just learned about it a couple months ago from a facialist in New York. It allows the serums and whatever products you’re using to really soak in”
Aniston is referring to the fact that microneedling provides a short window of opportunity that allows post-treatment products to travel down the fresh channels in the skin reaching the important parts at concentrations that aren’t otherwise possible. These channels allow a momentary increase in permeability that is hundreds of times the normal degree that topical products can penetrate the skin. The effects of topical serums can be accelerated dramatically.
But that’s actually not the main benefit of microneedling.
The single most aging thing that happens to our skin is the gradual loss of collagen and elastin. Microneedling triggers the skins wound-responses causing it to produce new collagen and elastin and making the skin look and feel younger and firmer. Wrinkles are reduced, tones are evened and sagging is lifted. Yayyyy!!
Unlike many other profoundly effective treatments microneedling does not try to force skin cells into a different state unnaturally. Microneedling triggers the skin’s own native rejuvenation process and is, therefore, completely natural. For this reason it works amazingly well with all skin types.... Cool!
So if you’re looking for a quick, painless, and effective way to improve the texture, tone, and overall appearance of their skin, then Microneedling might be a great option for you.
Microneedling has been proven to significantly improve the following skin problems:
- Rough skin texture
- Fine lines
- Crow's feet
- Laugh lines
- Surgical scars
- Acne scars
- Chicken pox scars
- Large pores
- Sun damaged skin
- Aging skin
- Stretch marks
To make sure that you’re getting the best care and treatment, the following are a few tips that you should consider following.
First a bit of History and Facts:
The concept of needling the skin has been present for hundreds or even thousands of years, dating back to ancient cultures. Evidence shows that the Chinese, Indians, and Egyptians had all explored microneedling to some degree.
The Microneedling procedure that we know of today is predicated on modern, science-based concepts.
What Is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that’s used to treat skin concerns via collagen production.
Also known as collagen induction therapy, this treatment can also help to reduce the appearance of acne scars and even stretch marks.
How Does Microneedling Work?
Microneedling works by encouraging your skin to make more collagen. The idea is that pinpricks from the procedure cause slight injury to the skin and that the skin responds by making new collagen-rich tissue.
This new skin tissue is, in turn, more even in tone and texture. It’s normal for the skin to lose collagen via age or injury. By encouraging the skin to make new tissue, there may be more collagen to help make the skin firmer, too.
In addition to facial concerns, microneedling is sometimes used to treat stretch marks in other areas of the body. One study found that microneedling was effective for stretch marks on the thighs and abdominal area when combined with fillers.
Scarring on other body parts may also be treated with this procedure. However, microneedling is primarily used on the face.
Microneedling vs. Lasers and Other Treatments
Microneedling presents several advantages over other skin rejuvenation treatments.
- With a lower risk of hyperpigmentation and scarring, it's safer for darker skin tones than many other skin-rejuvenating options, particularly those that are laser-based.
- Microneedling is suitable for thin and sensitive skin types.
- Microneedling is very cost-effective, and can be used on areas that chemical peels or laser resurfacing are unable to treat, such as around the eyes.
- Unlike ablative resurfacing techniques, which literally remove the outermost layers of skin, microneedling leaves the epidermis intact. This means the treatment can be repeated as needed.
- Some other treatments leave a distinct line between skin that’s been treated and the skin that hasn’t been treated. There's no such line of demarcation with microneedling, meaning specific areas of scarring can be targeted without the need to “blend” the edges of the treated area.
- You can resume your regular activity schedule within days, depending on how deeply the needles have penetrated your skin. Many other treatments with similar results, like laser resurfacing for example, have a much higher complication rate and a longer recovery period.
- The procedure is easy, and well tolerated by the vast majority of people.
Microneedling Preparation Tips
- Consult with your skin care professional before your first microneedling session.This is most important if it's your first time experiencing microneedling. This simple consultation will help you better understand your skin's needs and how microneedling enhances its appearance.
- Exfoliate your skin several times. Unless otherwise advised by your skin care professional, you should exfoliate every 2 to 3 days, and no less than 3 days before your appointment. This helps to remove some of the extra dead cells on the surface of your skin, making it easier for the needles to penetrate the upper layers of your skin.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables in the weeks leading up to your treatment. Maintaining a healthy diet is the best way to ensure your body is prepared for the procedure. Berries are an especially good source of antioxidants, which are great for your skin and help with the healing process.
- If you have a history of cold sores, you might have a flare up. Try using a lysine preparation, which helps with cold sores, prior to your treatment. You can also ask your doctor about taking antiviral medication.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking a lot of water isn't only beneficial for your overall health, it also ensures your skin heals quickly, giving you that radiant, supple appearance. Microneedling can also rob your skin of its moisture, so drinking plenty of water before the procedure will help make sure your skin stays well hydrated.
- Begin and maintain a good skin care regimen and routine. Even though microneedling is minimally invasive, it will cause minor trauma to your skin, which is the point, after all. A comprehensive skincare routine not only helps to give your skin the strength it needs to endure the tiny punctures, it also makes sure you develop good skincare habits. After the procedure, you'll likely be asked to apply certain topical products to aid with healing, so already having a good routine in place will help you stay on top of your aftercare.
- Avoid using harsh creams or lotions with retinoids. Stay away from products containing vitamin A, topical antibiotics, hydroquinone, or benzoyl peroxide for at least three days before your treatment. This will help to ensure that your skin will be in its best shape to handle the treatment, as well as recover from it.
- You should have a completely clean face when you begin treatment.
- Keep a close eye on the condition of your skin. Be sure to tell your Esthetician about any significant changes you notice leading up to your treatment. This might include a breakout, excessive dryness, or even sunburn.
Directly after your treatment, you may look like you spent too much time in the sun and earned yourself a moderate to severe sunburn. Your skin might also feel warmer and tighter than usual.
These are normal side effects of the procedure that fade after an hour or two, and completely disappear within 24 hours. There might still be some minimal redness in spots after that, but even that will fade within a few days. The deepest needles might also cause some minor bleeding, swelling or bruising.
Within the first day or two following your microneedling procedure, you'll likely notice your skin starting to flake and peel. This is due to the treatment speeding up your skin cells' turnover rate, which is how quickly the dead cells are replaced by new cells.
Peeling usually lasts about a week, during which time you can use your normal skin moisturizer. Be sure to follow any additional instructions given to you by your Esthetician.
If your treatment includes using a rolling device around your eyes, you might notice some micro-bruising in that area. This is normal and usually fades within 3 or 4 days. In the meantime, it’s easily covered up with your normal makeup.
Microneedling Results: What to Expect
Despite some initial redness and possible swelling, immediately after your treatment your skin should already look and feel tighter and refreshed. You might even see a slight plumping effect on your skin as soon as the swelling goes away.
Assuming your treatment involved needles of the appropriate length, your skin should start to increase its collagen production some 48 to 72 hours after your procedure.
Despite this increase, most people don't see real, noticeable results for at least 1 to 4 weeks after their first treatment. Full results from the first treatment can take as long as 2 months to appear.
While several treatments are usually required, you'll likely see scar tissue shrink and a reduction of UV damaged skin, dark spots, and stretch marks after only one treatment. You may also see improvements in the texture of your skin as it grows thicker, firmer and healthier overall.
The new collagen that is produced will remain for a few years, making microneedling a treatment with excellent longevity, especially considering how simple it is.
The best way to find out if you’re a good candidate for Microneedling is to book a Free Consultation with a qualified professional. Call For More Details: 905.850.2617
To Your Happiness, Great Health and Beautiful Sexy Skin, Rosemary